Sunday, January 15, 2017

2016 Make-Up Favourites

Slightly delayed, but as they say, better late than never!


I acquired a lot of make-up in 2016 and discovered a few old favourites as well, so this is all a good mix of old and new. I'm pretty proud to say that I've become a lot more comfortable with how I do my make-up and I can say that I can get the look that I really want without too much fiddling.

Hopefully this means less disappointing and unnecessary purchases in 2017? Not sure about unnecessary, because I do have a tendency to shop when I'm sad, but we can always try. 



I did a lot of streamlining to have one product per category as much as possible, be proud!

Primer



The Hourglass Mineral Veil is easily the best primer I've tried by far. I get compliments on my skin every time I wear this, no joke! Half a pump or less is all I need to get that smooth, poreless-looking base that makes all the other products I put on top last for hours longer. It's expensive and my heart broke when I paid for it, but the results are well-worth it! I'd imagine this bottle would last me a good two years!

Foundation



I've dreamed of the Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation for years, and I'm so happy to call this my top favourite! I love the Serum version for colder weather, but for everyday use in this hot, humid country, the regular formula is amazing! Blended with a brush, I get a medium coverage that's even, light on the skin, and stays for a good six hours before fading. I haven't found a base I've loved this much since the Fairydrops BB Cream!

Concealer



I know that highlighting concealers are more of an extra step, but wow do they make a difference! The L'oreal Lumi Magique in particular is an affordable but very effective concealer that does well in cancelling (moderate) dark circles while really brightening the under eye area. I also really like it underneath contour to make it more prominent.

Powder


I think out of all the products in my Europe Beauty Haul, the Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder has to be my favourite. It's compact, blends into the skin well, controls oil, and can be used for flash photography. Easily the best compact powder I've used, knocking my old favourite (the NARS Translucent Crystal Setting Powder) out of the water. I just wish it was more readily available!

Eyeshadow Palette


I knew I would love the Zoeva Cocoa Blend Palette as soon as I saw it, but I underestimated how much. I've pretty much ignored all my other palettes in favour of this and would gladly take it anywhere with me as it can create so many looks that I love. The shadows are so pigmented and vibrant that it makes Urban Decay look quite sad, if I'm honest! Now I know why everyone has professed their long lasting love to this!

Single Eyeshadow



I knew that Makeup Geek Cosmopolitan was beautiful but damn! Every time I put it on I'm so surprised with how unique and yet so well formulated this eyeshadow is. I wore this non-stop during those stressful thesis months that I was away from the blog and its usually my first recommendation to anyone who wants to try Makeup Geek. 

Eyeliner


Well, isn't this embarrassing. I usually keep my makeup in as near to mint condition as possible, but it goes to show just how much I still love the Clio Kill Brown Brush Liner. This has been my favourite for a good three years now because its still the most pigmented, long-lasting eyeliner (both on the eyes and usage-wise) I've tried.

Mascara



Honestly, why did I even bother to stray from the Fairydrops Platinum Waterproof Mascara? It holds a curl, lengthens my lashes like no other, separates beautifully while providing a bit of thickening and doesn't flake or smudge. It's been the only mascara that truly makes me happy, and while it is difficult to find (only in Sasa HK it seems!), I am still more than willing to get it.

Also thank you as always to Alex for getting this when I ask. <3

Blush



I've reached for the Milani Rose Blush in Romantic Rose 9 out of 10 times that I do my makeup. It's brightening without being too loud, and neutral enough that it goes with most of the looks that I wear. It's also not overly pigmented that you'll get clown cheeks, and the design is still so. pretty. My only qualm is the scent, but for what it gives me, it can be easily overlooked!

Contour



While I loved my Too Cool for School Contour Powder, I found that cream contours like the L'oreal Infallible Sculpt works infinitely better for me. The shade of this contour in particular is a bit cooler, so it appears more like a shadow on my face than anything else. I love that it's a cream as well and is pigmented enough while being buildable. Great affordable option that I reach for always!

Everyday Lipstick

Honestly...this was the hardest for me because I loved a lot of lipsticks in 2016. From the Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips in Secret Salma, to the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet, to the Etude House Chiffon Lipstick. Really difficult time. I'm becoming a lipstick hoarder.


But usage-wise, the Chanel Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle wins by a long shot, so much so that the Chanel engraving has been used! This has been my dream lipstick for as long as I can remember, and whenever I need a classy but elegant lipstick, this is always my go to. The formula is also very good to the lips as its non-drying and feels so comfortable. If I had to get rid of all my lipsticks and keep this one, I would still be very happy.

Red Lipstick



You might be calling 'cheater!' at this point but wait! Late 2016 was the time that I finally, finally had the balls to wear red lips out without feeling overly self-conscious. While I do love all the reds I own, the Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet in La Fascinante is such a beautiful, versatile red. It's that red lipstick you can always rely on as the shade works for both casual and more formal situations. I also find it quite comfortable for something marketed as a matte.

And there you have it! If you reached this point, thank you for joining me in my excitement for my favourites and for being with me the entire 2016. Hopefully this 2017 we can make more memories and reach greater heights!

What about you - what were your favourites for 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment