Friday, August 05, 2016

Ireland + UK Beauty Haul and First Impressions

This post is half exciting and half embarrassing, considering the sheer amount of stuff I bought. Several trips to Boots (so much that my aunt has a multitude of points in her Boots card) and one visit to Brown Thomas and Space NK each have led to this massive addition to my collection. Its safe to say I'm all shopped out at this point!



I was extremely bored and dissatisfied with the primers in my current arsenal which led to the purchase of one from the drugstore and one from Space NK. 

The Max Factor Facefinity All-Day Primer is a white liquid that is both smoothing and hydrating on the skin. It definitely has silicone, but in a much smaller amount that it doesn't make foundation settle or sit on top of it. So far it performs just fine on me, but I think it would be great for those with normal to dry skin, in case they want a bit more hydration in their primer.

In contrast, the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer is significantly more smoothing and pore minimizing. It is non-drying, but it definitely lives up to its claim at being oil-free, which is a relief. I find that this does make my makeup last for an hour or two longer (in humidity, which is a big deal) but I will report back for more on this.

The L'oreal Infallible Sculpt Contouring Palette in Medium/Dark wasn't originally on my 'to buy' list, but it looked interesting whenever I passed by the L'oreal counter. The product itself isn't overly pigmented, which I think is great for beginners at cream contour and highlight. The highlight shade I find doesn't sit well on the nose area and requires a little more building up. The contour however, is amazing for my skin tone and blends effortlessly. Review on this soon!


I couldn't decide between the Bourjois Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum, which is clearly why I got both (I had money to spare!). The Serum is definitely the dewier one of the two, and glides over the skin (even dry spots and uneven texture) much better versus the non-serum one. The Healthy Mix has good coverage and lasts well on my skin, but I'd like to test it out more to get a final verdict.

I've heard so many people on YouTube recommend the Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder as a better alternative (and is a dupe) for the Chanel Les Beiges Powder. When I tried this in Ireland, I found that it did cling a bit to dry spots, and I had quite a bit while I was over there. In humidity however I find it to be a little less obvious, but I will try it out more.

I got the L'oreal Lumi Magique to get the 3 for 2 deal. I haven't popped it open yet as I'm still trying to finish my other concealers, but from what I've read, it seems to be one of the better highlighting concealers from the drugstore. 


I purchased the Nuxe Reve de Miel as a replacement for my Bioderma Lip Balm, as the latter was far too expensive for me to maintain. I use this whenever I'm at home or doing my make-up, and I find it to be an excellent lip balm that lasts for hours and works well under lipstick. Good impulse purchase from me, considering I just grabbed the box before I headed for the counter!

The Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment (SPF 15) was one I picked up in Changi Airport before boarding my next flight, as I forgot my lip balm in my check-in. Its still as good as I remember, in that it is hydrating and lasts for a few hours, though not as long as the Nuxe one. Very handy for on the go, though!

I knew I had to at least try the L'oreal Telescopic Extra Black Mascara as it promises very lengthy and very black lashes. Out of all my L'oreal purchases, I was most excited for this. So far I find the formula to be very wet - an issue I have with non-Asian mascaras. It is very black as it claims, and does provide length, but I'd honestly want to dry out the formula a bit more to really see if I like it.

Yes, those are two lip pencils of the same shade. I listened to Alex when she told me to look into Rimmel lip liners by hoarding two, taking advantage of the discount they were offering at the time. The Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liner in Eastend Snob is a favourite of Amelia Liana and her lips always look amazing. I'm a fan of the retractable pencil and the way the shade of pink makes the lips look fuller without overlining them, not that I need that anyway.


Yes, more lip products! It does seem out of place, but I purchased this Etude House Dear My Blooming Lips Talk Chiffon Lipstick (109) during my 8-hour stopover in Seoul. My best friend has this shade and loves it, claiming it is her perfect brown lipstick. I do agree that its an amazing shade of brown, not too glossy or too matte, and doesn't make your face age that extra 7 years as most brown lipsticks do. Great steal, considering the price as well!

Another slightly impulsive purchase is the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Nude-ist. I watched Karima McKimmie/Shameless Fripperies use it in one of her tutorials and had to have it, as it was a  beautiful dark muted rosey shade. It applies well on the lips, though I prefer it with a bit of lip liner underneath. Absolutely no regrets with this one!

I don't know what possessed me to gravitate towards this YSL Glossy Stain (12), but after some quick research, I knew I wanted to try at least one shade from this extensive range. The colour I picked is a warm pink shade with a hint of coral, which brightens the face upon application. The formula itself feels very hydrating and comfortable to wear, that I often don't need a lip balm if I wear this one out. Plus, it smells so good, you need to at least give this a swatch if you pass by a YSL counter!

And finally, the Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips in Secret Salma is easily one of my favourite purchases from this entire haul. Out of all the lipsticks I swatched (and I swatched nearly all the shades from her  many collections), this shade stood out. It is a muted pinky mauve without a trace of brown in it, and it looks very understated yet sophisticated on the lips. The formula as well while matte is not drying at all, and it applies very smoothly on the lips. I can definitely see what the hype is about for her lipsticks!

And that's it! Congratulations for reaching this far into the post, and thank you so much for reading. If you've tried any of these products, don't hesitate to let me know what you think. Do you like them? Hate them? Can't stand them?



No comments:

Post a Comment